Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Please, please tell me now...

I'm always amazed by the power of music, and how quickly it can transport me to another place and time.

I was in my car today, impatiently flipping from station to station (as usual), when I came across that early 80's "gem" (those are sarcastic quotation marks, fyi) "Rosanna," by Toto. Now, I don't particularly like that song, but I smiled and turned up the volume. In my mind, I was back on the beach at La Jolla Shores with my good friends Julie and Patty, the summer Patty brought that tape on many of our beach trips. By the end of that summer, Julie and I were so sick of that song that we actually counted how many times the word "Rosanna" is sung. (I don't remember anymore, but the number 21 jumps out at me. I didn't count today.)
Next up? Duran Duran's "Is There Something I Should Know?" Ahh, now I'm with Julie, spending an uncomfortable night in the San Diego Sports Arena parking lot, for the privilege of buying nosebleed seats to a Duran Duran concert. I don't think either of us slept, between the beach chairs and the competing stereos all around us. Would have been nice if they'd all played the SAME DD album at the same time...
I also remember our trip to the legendary Bob's Big Boy across the street in the morning for a greasy breakfast, which took us less than ten minutes to inhale. It was a LONG and arduous night, after all. (And the concert itself was really great, despite the shitty seats. Another classic moment -- a pubescent girl behind us was surveying the stage before the show with her binoculars, focusing on the bass guitar when she says, "Oh my God, John's hands are going to touch that guitar!!"Ahh, youth. At least she had good taste in band members....)
And then I remembered how long ago all this happened, and it took me aback. Didn't help that I was on my way to get my rapidly encroaching gray hairs chemically altered when I took this trip down memory lane. Jeez. Was it really THAT long ago?

->